Carillion is celebrating a successful NHS Sustainability Day of action which took place on 27th March 2014. As part of its ongoing involvement with the initiative, over 150 staff across 13 sites took part in a range of activities to promote sustainability to both healthcare staff and patients across the UK.
NHS Sustainability Day 2014, organised by Barts NHS Trust and 4 All of Us Social Enterprise and supported by Carillion aims to make links and break down barriers across professions, organisations and countries, in order to support active change across the whole healthcare landscape.
Mike Hobbs, Managing Director at Carillion Health commented: “We are delighted with the levels of support we have received from our staff and partners in aid of NHS Sustainability Day 2014 and would like to thank everyone involved for making the day such a success.
“The range of activities and initiatives we have participated in has created greater awareness around sustainability issues and we are committed to providing ongoing support to drive sustainability across all of our contracts and to sharing learning with our healthcare partners.”
Focussing on the positive outcomes of creating sustainable communities and protecting the environment, each Carillion health contract showcased projects and took part in activities
that further embed sustainable practices in the day to day delivery of health services which included:
• A healthy eating campaign in each hospital including a themed restaurant menu featuring locally sourced healthy ingredients
• Support for Carillion’s official charity Barnardo’s through clothing collections and volunteering at local shops
• Installation of local food banks at each site to support people in need in the local community
• Recycling and waste reduction initiatives and information, walking challenges and creation of wildlife gardens.
• Cake sales, colouring competitions, raffles and dress down days with proceeds going to local charities
Barts Health NHS Trust and Great Ormond Street Hospital also hosted Sustainability sessions on the topics of sustainability and public health and collaboration throughout the day bringing people together to celebrate sustainability success, discuss sustainability issues and share knowledge and best practice.
The sustainability campaign will culminate in The Sustainability Awards, sponsored by Carillion which will be taking place in London on 10th April.