The NHS could save millions of pounds by reducing waste according to a recent report from WRAP – a government funded organisation who promote recycling and waste reduction.
The scale of the opportunities highlighted in the report range from millions of pounds (for re-use options) up to tens of millions (for better hand cleaning and drying systems) if implemented on a national scale.
Some of the recommendations in the report include:
- Reducing pharmaceutical waste
- Reducing the usage of linen and towels
- Increasing the use of re-usable surgical drapes and gowns in theatres
- Increasing the use of hand driers in public areas
- Replacing single use items with re-useable where appropriate
- Reviewing budget structures and joint procurement between departments.